Important: Please consider that each cameo is hand carved on a piece of shell which naturally has an uneven surface and color. Even if each piece is crafted in the same way, the final result could be a bit different from the photos attached to this page.
Cameos are exquisitely hand-carved shells depicting scenes or portraits of people or animals. The most popular shells used for cameos are Carnelian and Sardonyx shells. Their outer shells are naturally white and uneven, whereas their color underneath can vary from tones of orange, deep purple or dark brown passing throughout a wide gamut of red.
Carving the top white layer with hand tools called Bulini, artists create their designs into the surface of the shell by carefully revealing the colored layer beneath.
Cameo carvers are lifelong students of Classical art and practice their artistry for years. Master carvers are able to transform a small piece cut from a large shell into a true work-of-art, by applying the bas-relief technique.
Not only must cameo carvers be extremely precise, they must also be able to use the shape, pattern and color of the shell to their advantage.
The challenge is to masterfully render the subject of the cameo to a minuscule space by hand carving depth and persecutive to a surface no thicker than an 1/8 of and inch. When the carving is complete the shell cameos are gently polished and brushed with olive oil to complete their shiny appearance. Shell Cameo jewelry are truly wearable works of art recognized around the world for their unique elegance and natural beauty.
We usually ship with USPS Priority or UPS ground as they are the most efficient and convenient. Overnight shipping is available from Monday to Friday.
Special Orders will ship as soon as they arrive in the USA. Please consider that most of our products are produced in Italy and Spain and require the necessary time to be produced and shipped.
- We want our customers to be satisfied with their purchase. If for any reason you are unhappy with the product that you have received, you may return it within 15 days from the date of delivery for a full refund. (This applies only to full price items. See below for items purchased on sale)
- You may also exchange your items with anything else that we currently have in stock. If there is any difference in price, it will be calculated and charged/refunded to your card.
- You may also keep a store credit for future purchases.
- In the case of a return, the customer is responsible to return the item at its own expense and only in the following conditions: unused, unwashed and in its original packaging including all labels.
- Special Orders items can only be exchanged. No refunds can be issued for special orders.
- It is not possible to cancel Special Orders because the manufacturer receives the orders on the same day and generally adds the items to the production cue on the same day.
- All items purchased on SALE or CLEARANCE can only be exchanged with items currently in stock. Please contact us at email@example.com and we will try to help you with your exchange process. No refunds can be issued for items sold on sale or clearance.
For exchanges, customer is responsible for shipping costs.